Can eBikes be used in the rain?
No, it’s not a trick question. This article sets out to reassure readers that yes, you can use an eBike in the rain, although you may wish to ride with caution in extreme conditions. Much like any other push bike, you will have come across in the past.
It’s a question that we are regularly asked as it is a common reservation whenever water and electrics combine; but hopefully, by the end of this short piece, you will have all of the answers you need.
Let’s dive into things.
eBike batteries are protected from the rain
Despite looking and operating largely like a regular old bike, we know that eBikes are assisted by a battery and a motor. These two components deliver you with the power to reach higher speeds and tackle tougher gradients. That said, the battery and motor are powered electrically, so it’s natural to consider their suitability in wet environments.
The batteries used in electric bikes are in sealed units, and housed inside the eBike frame itself. Quality products are designed to be as watertight as possible and the Avaris Road eBike reflects this, however, you may wish to consider another form of travel in extremely heavy and prolonged periods of bad weather. You won’t pose any risk to yourself, but you may be putting your eBike at a disadvantage.
Our point is, don’t be afraid of getting splashed with a little water, riding through a puddle or going out and about in the morning drizzle. eBikes are well designed for this. Just understand the difference between water-resistant and waterproof.
Your eBike touch display
Your eBike touch display is installed to keep you motivated, accountable and on track for every ride. It wouldn’t be much use in that endeavour if you had to take it off whenever it rained, right?
The USB port connector is waterproof and the screen itself is sealed. Your touch screen may underperform when wet, however, so it is worthwhile to carry around a cloth so that you can wipe away any surface water from the screen before using it.
eBike tyre performance in wet conditions
Now this is one that will depend upon the eBike brand that you go for but we can only speak for ourselves. The Avaris Road eBike comes fitted with the renowned and highly regarded Kenda tyres, which boast deep rims and an aerodynamic design.
The rims provide plenty of grip on uneven surfaces, and they don’t react badly to wet tarmac. Smoother types with shallower rims can often result in a slipping hazard, this is not the case with Kenda tyres.
Using your eBike in the rain: 5 Avaris tips
Here are five quickfire tips to help you in using your eBike in wet conditions:
- Add waterproofing extras to your equipment. You can buy waterproof covers and cases for your screen, helmet and battery casing to bolster the resistance of your product.
- Equip lighting. Rainy conditions are accompanied by drops in natural light, so do all you can to maintain high visibility for yourself by adding lighting to your eBike.
- Have a clean down after your journey, this will allow you to remove any dirt or oil that has accumulated from the splashing rainwater during your travels.
- Wear high visibility clothing to keep yourself visible, and of course, ensure that this clothing is waterproof so it ticks off both essential purposes.
- Evaluate your route before travelling and consider the impact that excess rainwater might have upon your journey.
Ready? Why not purchase a road eBike using Duologi finance?
Avaris 2.3 Road eBike is a lightweight and high-quality road eBike that is perfect for daily commuters, no matter the weather. It offers a smooth riding experience thanks to its electric assistance and combined with innovative technology you can track your rides, navigate easily and monitor progress.